Thursday, December 27, 2007

快乐假期 Dec Holiday

快乐假期 Happy Holidays
We went to KL this holiday, we stayed in my aunt’s house. By using my 2001 KL map, I managed to navigate through the major tourist spots.

This was a fun and food hunting trip, I brought along my “Popular Food Guide @ KL” book with me. We kicked off the KL journey with a decent dinner at Kepong, enjoyed deep-sea fish porridge (深海龙趸鱼this fish considered the healthiest diet for people, Its skin, which is thicker than other fishes, contains lot of "collagen", for details see here: The Origin Of Deep-Sea Giant Garoupa). One serving of porridge, for one person, costs RM17.90. The fish meat is fresh鲜甜, no MSG.

I drove to Titiwangsa Lake for the “Eye on Malaysia” Ferris wheel ride (the largest portable wheel in the world, temporary “served” here in conjunction with the launching of Visit Malaysia Year 2007, not sure still available in 2008).

There are a total of 42 gondolas included one for VIPs, each of the gondola can carry eight persons. But the gondola is too small, we felt it was too crowded with 7 adults and 1 kid inside.

I spent RM23 (adult RM15, children RM8) for the ride, my mum and aunt weren’t attracted to the ride. We queued for 1 hour for our turn; the ride was boring one, no music nor narration, the surroundings was dark; it didn’t offers magnificent view of KL and its surroundings, except the nearby Istana Budaya and Petronas Twin Towers which can be vividly seen. Going there in daytime may be better, I think, at least we can experience a 360-degree panoramic view of Kuala Lumpur clearly.

There was a free ‘Theatre of the Waters’ show on the lake, projecting image and laser light to the water screens and water fountain show. It was OK, not truly a spectacular show to impress me, I have seen much more magnificent water show in Las Vegas, this one has nothing to compare with. Anyway, I managed to take a nice photo shot with the reflection on the lake, using my low-end version of digital camera. Nice shot or not?

Eye on Malaysia with Petronas Twin Towers in distance.



Inside the gondola. Quite crowded.






We visited KL Tower the next day, taking quite some time to reach there, due to none of my passengers able to help me with the map, they either too old or too young to read map. So I have to drive, stop, study the map and drive again. As usual, there weren’t clear signboard to guide the way, therefore I missed the turning twice before I actually reached there.

The tower was located on the top of the hill, luckily there were free shuttle ride to the tower, I just parked my car outside the gate (save parking fee) and got a free ride to the tower. Entry to the Observation Deck cost us RM10 (adult) and RM5 (children), we've given an earphone and mini handheld monitor to guide us. This self-help audio tour was good, it provided multiple languages narration, coupled with the great bird's eye view of the surrounds. There was free nature walk available for visitors, to venture the forest around it. However, we don’t have time for that, too bad.



We rushed to downtown KL (Pudu) for lunch and shopping for Fuchew’s food. The famous Lam-mee in Yew Road was so-so only, despite it was recommended by 8TV “HoChiak” TV show.

Later at night, we had our dinner at the hawker center in Kepong, we tried the seafood stall recommended by the food guide book I brought along. The food was lousy, we ordered the so-called famous stir-fried clams, it has a bad fishy smell. The spicy clams, pork noodle and mee goreng also tasteless. However, there’ve still a lot of customers there. After that, I realized it carried the “HoChiak” (note1) sticker too.

Well, may be the local people’s expectation to the hawker food were lower. For food critic + food lover like us, this type of food failed to meet our ho-chiak standard. No wonder Penang hawker centers are always packed with KL people during holidays, KL hawker food is really suck.

The next day dinner, I ignored my food guide book totally. We took a stroll around the area near my aunt house, we ventured around the shop-houses and managed to find one seafood steamboat restaurant crowded with people. We followed the crowd, and YES, the food was superb, seafood was fresh and cheap (RM100 for >30 big prawn, 1 fish and lot of fishball, crabmeat…). After meal, we even ta-pao the left-over soup! What a satisfying dinner.

Shopping at Jusco.







We rushed back to Penang on Sunday, because we have to attend my friend's wedding on Christmas eve. This was also her first time to attend a typical chinese wedding ceremony, I told her every bride has a bridemaid to assist her. She could watch and learn from there, so that she can be the bridemaid for aunt Hooi San's wedding later.
We were the "Chi-mui"(姐妹团)for the event, this was a real eye-opener for her. She was very curious about everything -- why they dont let the groom in? why they locked the bride in the room? why they want to play game with the groom before they allowed him to meet his bride? why they don't served the tea to us? why after drinking the small cup of tea, they gave ang-pao to the bride? what is the bridemaid doing?
I explained each activity that she seen. Later, after the ceremony, she told me "I think I better be the flower girl than the bridemaid".
"But Aunt Hooi San won't need flower girl, only church wedding need flower girls."
"Can we ask aunt to go to church for her wedding?" Haha...

At night, we went to the wedding dinner, she was attracted by the long-winded wine cheering "Yam-sheng". She enjoyed the event very much. We wrapped up the day with a fruitful of knowledge learnt in wedding ceremony, what a day :-)

note1 - ho chiak means "delicious" in hokkien. There is a local TV show named "Ho Chiak" which introduced delicacies of the season, a sticker with the "Ho Chiak" logo will be given to the restaurant after the host visited the place.

No comments: